Recently, the European Commission has posted the MEMO/14/106 with intriguing title "8 things you didn't know about Electronics". The note reported advanced nano-electronics and smart systems referring to novel results of selected FP7 projects. Among presented state of the art R&D projects, the EC note described recent e-BRAINS project results:
"Energy scavenging technologies will soon allow us to build pacemakers powered by the heartbeat itself, discarding batteries andextending their in-body usage to tens of years. The e-BRAINS project develops modules the size of a capsule (2-3 cm) which, when implanted in a human heart convert some of the heart's own mechanical movement into power. This means patient no longer needs to be operated on every few years to change the pacemaker's batteries."
Maaike M. Visser Taklo, PhD, Research Manager at SINTEF ICT, Norway and a member of the E-BRAINS Consortium has delivered the keynote presentation
at the IEEE International 3D Systems Integration Conference on October 2-4, 2013 in San Francisco, California, USA. The keynote has addressed following points:
- Further motivation of e-BRAINS (needs in EU)
- Guardian angels, far future
- e-BRAINS, a step on the way
- Robustness and reliability now, for early success
- Awareness of responsibility
- 3DIC highlights of e-BRAINS
- NEMS for 3D integration
- Novel 3D technologies
The e-BRAINS Consortium members have recently published a series of scientific papers:
- Montserrat Fernández-Bolaños1*, Peter Ramm2, Reinhard Pufall3, Elizabeth Buitrago1, Christian Zilch4, Hoël Guerin1, Hélène Le Poche5, Roland Pohle6, Alexandru Popescu6 and Adrian M. Ionescu1, 3D Heterogeneous Integration for Nanosensor Systems – the EU-Project e-BRAINS, invited talk at SSDM 2013 Solid State Device and Materials, Fukuoka (Japan) 24th-27th Sept. 2013
- Astrid-Sofie B. Vardøy, H.J. van de Wiel, Stian Martinsen, Greg R. Hayes, Hartmut R. Fischer, Knut E. Aasmundtveit, Adriana Lapadatu, Maaike M. V. Taklo, "Void formation and bond strength investigated for wafer-level Cu-Sn SLID bonding", to be presented at iMAPS 2013
- Kafil M. Razeeb Non-enzymatic electrochemical sensor technology based on vertically aligned 3-D nanowire array platform 224th ECS Meeting, San Francisco, California, USA Invited talk Oct 27 – Nov 1 2013
- Louise Devlin, Mamun Jamal and Kafil M. Razeeb Novel pH sensor based on anthraquinone–ferrocene modified free standing gold nanowire array electrode Anal. Methods vol. 5, pp. 880-884 2013
- M. Wiessflecker, G. Hofer, G. Holweg, and W. Pribyl An 11 bit SAR ADC Combining a Split Capacitor Array with a Resistive Ladder and a Configurable Noise Time Domain Comparator in Proc. IEEE 55th Int Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS) Midwest Symp pp. 101–104 2012
- M. Wiessflecker, G. Hofer, G. Holweg, and W. Pribyl An impedance measurement circuit for wirelessly powered ICs in 20th Austrian Workshop on Microelectronics 2012
- M. Wiessflecker, G. Hofer, G. Holweg, H. Reinisch, and W. Pribyl A sub 1V self clocked switched capacitor bandgap reference with a current consumption of 180nA in Proc. IEEE Int Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) Symp pp. 2841–2844 2012
- M. Wiessflecker, G. Hofer, H. Reinisch, S. Gruber, G. Holweg, W. Pachler, M. Klamminger and W. Pribyl A Remotely Powered Multi Frequency RFID Sensing Tag with Integrated Impedance Measurement Interface Proc. IEEE Int Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) Symp 2013
- Maaike M.V. Taklo, "Challenges Related to Underfill for European Activities on 3D Integration" (invited), SEMATECH Underfill challenges for 3D interconnect, San Jose, November 9, 2012
- Maaike M.V. Taklo, Astrid-Sofie Vardøy, Ingrid De Wolf, Veerle Simons, H.J. van de Wiel, Adri van der Waal, Adriana Lapadatu, Stian Martinsen, Bernhard Wunderle, "Residual stress in silicon caused by Cu-Sn wafer-level packaging", to be presented at InterPACK 2013
- Maaike M.V. Taklo, Joachim Seland Graff, Daniel Nilsen Wright, Helge Kristiansen, Lars Hoff, Knut Waaler, "Failure Analysis Of Thermally And Mechanically Stressed Plastic Core Solder Balls", ECTC 2013, May, 2013
- Mamun Jamal, Maksudul Hasan, Alan Mathewson and Kafil M. Razeeb Disposable sensor based on enzyme-free Ni nanowire array electrode to detect glutamateBiosens. Bioelec. vol. 40, pp. 213-218 2013
- Mamun Jamal, Maksudul Hasan, Michael Schmidt, Nikolay Petkov, Alan Mathewson and Kafil M. Razeeb Core@shell Ni@NiO nanowire array electrode for catalytic activity towards glucose, 223rd ECS Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Abstract no. 1471, oral presentation May 12-17 2013
- R. Pufall, M. Goroll, P. Ramm, M. Taklo, "Lessons learned from the European research project e-BRAINS, An overview of activities and results on methodology of reliability and robustness", Microcar 2013
- Sanja Hadzialic and Maaike M.V. Taklo, "Robust design for nanostructures for optical field manipulation”, presented at "Heterogeneous 3D integration considered by the perspective of reliability studied in the European projects e-BRAINS and ESiP", ESREF 2012, 1st October, Cagliari, Italy, 2012
- Sanja Hadzialic, Ib-Rune Johansen, Maaike M. Visser Taklo, "Nano Structured Optical Coatings, Mirrors and Anti-Reflective Surfaces in Single Crystal Silicon by Patterning of the Silicon Surface", Northern Optics 2012, 19-21 November, Snekkersten, Denmark, 2012
- Torleif André Tollefsen, Maaike M. Visser Taklo, Thor Bakke, Nicolas Lietaer, Per Dalsjø Jakob Gakkestad, "Reliability of TSVs and wafer-level bonding for a 3D integrable SOI based MEMS application", IWLPC 2012, 5-8 November, San Jose, USA, 2012
The NanoLab (EPFL) team has contributed to the ZeroPower Networking Workshop (16-18 October 2012 – Barcelona, Spain) presenting junctionless SiNW FETs as 3D structures for low power sensors, introduced BioFETs (Si-based nanostructures) for biosensing in integrated 3D heterogeneous systems, discussed its fabrication process, flow validation and corresponding numerical 3D TCAD simulation. The presetnation has also highlighted an interpoject, Synaps and eBRAINS, R&D exchange.
E. Buitrago, G. Fagas*, M. Fernandez-Bolaños and A.M. Ionescu (EPFL, *Tyndall)
Junctionless Silicon Nanowire Transistor Design for the Tunable Operation of a Low Power Sensor
ZeroPowerNetworking Workshop; 16-18 October 2012 – Barcelona, Spain
FP7 e-BRAINS Project https://www.e-brains.org/
FP7 SiNAPS Project http://www.sinaps-fet.eu/
The e-BRAINS Consortium has issued the supporting letter for the “Guardian Angels for a Smarter Life” FET Flagship Project. The e-BRAINS considers this FET Flagship Project as a fundamental tool to substantially reinforce the efforts in this strategic domain for Europe. This strong European structuring will allow us to tackle the dramatic innovations needed for a very broad spectrum of societally relevant applications.
Alan Mathewson (Tyndall Institute, Ireland) has delivered the Keynote Talk "Status of Research and Application Development of 3DIC Technology in Europe" at the IEEE International 3D System Integration Conference (3DIC
) Osaka on Feb 1, 2012.
You can find the presentation here
Handbook of Wafer Bonding
Editors: Peter Ramm , James Jian-Qiang Lu, Maaike M. V. Taklo
The focus behind this book on wafer bonding is the fast paced changes in the research and development in three-dimensional (3D) integration, temporary bonding and micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) with new functional layers. Written by authors and edited by a team from microsystems companies and industry-near research organizations, this handbook and reference presents dependable, first-hand information on bonding technologies.
Part I sorts the wafer bonding technologies into four categories ? Adhesive and Anodic Bonding; Direct Wafer Bonding; Metal Bonding; and Hybrid Metal/Dielectric Bonding. Part II summarizes the key wafer bonding applications developed recently, that is, 3D integration, MEMS, and temporary bonding, to give readers a taste of the significant applications of wafer bonding technologies.
This book is aimed at materials scientists, semiconductor physicists, the semiconductor industry, IT engineers, electrical engineers, and libraries.
Magna Diagnostics, a developer of the fast, cost-effective and robust point-of-care diagnostics platform is promoting the e-BRAINS Project. Visit Magna Diagnostics
Event: International Wafer-Level Packaging Conference - IWLPC, Santa Clara, Nov 4-5, 2011
Peter Ramm, Fraunhofer EMFT actively controbuted to the IWLPC Panel Discussion and discussed:
- 3D-IC integration (TSV-Technology for 3D-integrated ICs) is seen as (too) expensive and because of that delayed to 2015 or later
- So-called 2.5D integration (Si Interposers) with cost issues too (relatively expensive in comparison to performance achieved) - alternative glass interposer concept presented by Rao Tumalla / GiorgiaTech
- 3D memory stacks (TSV in periphery) will come soon (2012)
- Heterogeneous MEMS/IC integration is recognized as one of the key drivers for 3D TSV integration (e-BRAINS !) because TSVs just on densities of global interdconnect level - instead of very high densities for 3D-ICs. Focus on Reliability not on integration density !
Other technical details are availeble in attached presentation